incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commit message summaries
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:42:31 GMT
> - either the plain<number>  + ":"
> - or #<number>#
> - or #i<number>#
>
> I can live with all but we should agree on one notation. My preference
> is the first and then the second. I don't think we need the lower case
> 'i' anymore.
>
> Older commit messages can be interpreted by knowing the older
> conventions and today we have only one bugtracker.

I disagree. Undecorated issue numbers cause gratuitous confusion and
here is an example from a very recent commit:

 > + // #119459# for connector shape, the start point and end point [...]

Now compare that with typical lines from the the AOO 3.4 (and OOo) code
base such as main/vcl/source/window/winproc.cxx:2369
    // #119709# for some unknown reason it is possible to receive [...]
or main/sw/source/core/unocore/unodraw.cxx:2123
    // --> OD 2005-02-02 #119236# - no delete of draw format for members

The source line from the recent commit refers to a bug number in our
current bugzilla instance whereas the examples from the older code refer
to bug numbers in the pre-OOo tracker.

Can someone enlighten me using the concrete examples from above why
using undecorated numbers is supposed to be better? How can one
distinguish the issue numbers if they are not decorated?

Herbert