incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][3.4.1]: Include only one en-US dictionary extension
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:28:14 GMT
On 19.06.2012 18:37, Stuart Swales wrote:
[...]
> Please don't merrily discard the English language variant dictionaries -
> they are really really important.

The reason for wanting to drop some of the english extensions is not a
disregard for (of?) the english language and its variants.  In older
versions of OpenOffice only the dict-en extension was included.  It is
probably my fault that there are now five dictionary extensions.

I added the functionality for downloading and integrating the extensions
into the installation sets and used the information on [1] to setup the
initial list of extensions to bundle.  Maybe the time has come to reduce
that list to what is really needed.

dict-en seems to support the variants (AU,CA,GB,US,ZA).  I say "seems"
because I am neither a linguist nor do I have information beyond what
the pages in the extension repository provide (see links to english
dictionaries on [1]).  I don't know if the separate dictionaries for
AU,NZ,CA, and US contain anything that is not already included in dict-en.

If you or anybody else have/has more information then please share that
with the rest of us so that we can make a decision based on facts
whether to keep or to drop the extensions.

-Andre

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bundled+Writing+Aids