incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Guidelines for list conduct policy
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:10:13 GMT
On 6/20/12 1:42 AM, drew wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 16:21 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> not in
>>> should
>>> a very
>>> assumed
>>> location
>>> OK if that is really just about private lists, but the last sentence
>>> read to me as if it was broader.
>>> Anyway - to be honest I find the whole subject rather silly. Does anyone
>>> really need to be told that what happens on a private list is by
>>> definition to be held in confidence?
>>> //drew
>> Well, Drew, I think this is why this whole discussion started. Most of us
>> would think the answer to your question is "no", but, well, apparently
>> there was some looser interpretation that some felt needed  clarification.
> Not at all - someone violated that trust, everyone knew it was wrong,
> there didn't need to be rules written for folks to know that.
> But that is just my opinion of course.

and often thinking twice before answering helps also. People shouldn't
simply follow some rules, more important is to understand, to listen and
if necessary the ability to adapt/change the own behaviour.

Write never something that conflicts with the general rules on mailing
lists and never write something that you wouldn't like to read abut
yourself ;-)

>> Anyway, Wolf, this is really good. I think this would be better posted as
>> just a link on the project site,,
>> under the Mailing Lists link, and give more clarification on item #1 that
>> this most importantly applies to private mailing lists. Drew's right that
>> we don't want to mislead people to think anything else is private.
>> I think maybe it's a bit lengthy to add to a "welcome" message to list
>> subscribers.

View raw message