incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do we want to drop platform support of RedHat 5 and SuSE 10
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:07:05 GMT
On 18.06.2012 10:37, Ji Yan wrote:
> According to build guide[1], gcc 4.2.3 is the current reference compiler
> which means Linux build should be compiled against RedHat Enterprise
> Linux(RHEL) 6 or SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop(SLED) 11. So I'm wondering
> if we should drop OS support for RHEL5 and SLED 10?
>
> The fact is that AOO 3.4 release build is unable to be launched in neither
> RHEL5 nor SLED 10. Should we update system requirement and installation
> guide?

In my opinion we should try to run on  on RHEL5 or SLED10 unless there
are new technical requirements which make running it not feasible
anymore. AFAIK if we build the binaries on a suitable older platform
(e.g. RHEL5 or Centos5 instead of e.g. Ubuntu 12.04) then the binaries
should work almost anywhere as nowadays backward compatibility of Linux
binaries is a widely shared goal.

Herbert