incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:33:46 GMT

On 6/14/2012 8:20 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 6/14/12 5:04 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:53:51AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> I've seeing a lot of bug fixes coming in.  This is great!
>>>
>>> But none of us are perfect.  Sometimes bug fixes don't work or fixing
>>> one bug causes another problem.    That is why we test.   And it is
>>> best to test a bug fix before too much time has elapsed.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to agree on a date to post an updated dev
>>> snapshot, so we can verify the bug fixes and ensure that no new
>>> instability has been introduced?  Maybe get into the practice of doing
>>> this regularly, e.g., every 1 or 2 weeks or something.
>> IMO first we should decide if building 3.4.1 alphas/betas or 3.5 Developer
>> Snapshots; yes, the naming is a mess, we should clear this up, also
>> clear the page
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
>> IIRC in OOo times, Developer Snapshots where builds from the main code
>> line, for example http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/
>> Betas where from the release code line, for example
>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/
>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO330/
>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO320/
>>
>> I guess we could build both, at different intervals, a 3.5 Dev.Snap. per
>> month and a 3.4.1 beta every week or two, for example.
>>
> When you see my proposed schedule for 3.4.1 I have proposed to start dev
> builds for 3.4.1 with the beginning of June. We are working on setting
> up some local machines that allow us to automate this a little bit. I
> hope we can start at least next week with this.
>
> And I agree to Ariel that it make sense to start with dev builds for 3.5
> (trunk) as well. And ideally we can use the binaries from the build bots
> directly. As I learned today we changed the configure flags already and
> we should check if we can these builds directly. Or if not we should
> check what we need to fix to make them usable. That would of course make
> things easier.
I think the builds from the buildbot could be directly used.  I think
there are a couple of things that would need to be changed:
  - create separate builds for 3.4.1 and trunk
  - create weekly 'dev builds' that will be a bit different than the
nightlies, with extra steps required and correct configure options.
  - create specific build for weekly rat + coverity + ??? for code
analysis that does not need to be run daily (or nightly)

A.