incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:20:48 GMT
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:53:51AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I've seeing a lot of bug fixes coming in.  This is great!
>>
>> But none of us are perfect.  Sometimes bug fixes don't work or fixing
>> one bug causes another problem.    That is why we test.   And it is
>> best to test a bug fix before too much time has elapsed.
>>
>> Would it make sense to agree on a date to post an updated dev
>> snapshot, so we can verify the bug fixes and ensure that no new
>> instability has been introduced?  Maybe get into the practice of doing
>> this regularly, e.g., every 1 or 2 weeks or something.
>
> IMO first we should decide if building 3.4.1 alphas/betas or 3.5 Developer
> Snapshots; yes, the naming is a mess, we should clear this up, also
> clear the page
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
> IIRC in OOo times, Developer Snapshots where builds from the main code
> line, for example http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/
> Betas where from the release code line, for example
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO330/
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO320/
>
> I guess we could build both, at different intervals, a 3.5 Dev.Snap. per
> month and a 3.4.1 beta every week or two, for example.

When you see my proposed schedule for 3.4.1 I have proposed to start dev
builds for 3.4.1 with the beginning of June. We are working on setting
up some local machines that allow us to automate this a little bit. I
hope we can start at least next week with this.

And I agree to Ariel that it make sense to start with dev builds for 3.5
(trunk) as well. And ideally we can use the binaries from the build bots
directly. As I learned today we changed the configure flags already and
we should check if we can these builds directly. Or if not we should
check what we need to fix to make them usable. That would of course make
things easier.

Juergen