incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] logo usage -- nitpicking and some proposed changes
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:48:46 GMT
cc/ ooo-marketing@incubator.apache.org

I'm looking at the information we have on the project site for Trademark
Usage

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html

First item, logos:

"For the Apache OpenOffice project these trademarks include the names
Apache OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org, as well as the graphical logo."

I would take this to mean the current logo on the "trademarks.html"
page, which is not the same as the logo on the website:

http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/OOo_Website_v2_copy.png

-or- the older web logo

http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/ooo-logo.png

So, I would like to do a few things:

- also put
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/300x100_dj_trans.png

in
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos

Change

"For the Apache OpenOffice project these trademarks include the names
Apache OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org, as well as the graphical logo."

-- to --

"For the Apache OpenOffice project these trademarks include the names
Apache OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org, as well as the graphical logos."

and link the word "logos" to all elements in:

http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos

(there's actually one item in there we aren't using which I need to remove)

I will also change the logos area in:

http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/

and list all possible logos in:

http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/

Second item, other artwork:

All artwork in:
http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/

seems to be either LGPL or PDL.

I would like to include some verbiage on the above page that will advise
viewers to review the licensing for the object(s) they would like to use
and tell them simply (I think this would expedite usage. If we did this,
I think the ONLY thing they might explicitly require usage for is the
actual logo and nothing else):

"If you are planning on using an object from this area, you may modify
an object as you like subject to the following conditions:

(1) Use of any of the logos requires explicit permission. See:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html

(2) Please note the licensing conditions for any other object you want
to use (either LGPL or PDL)

(3) If the object is licensed with LGPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html) license, you may modify it as
you like but should cite Apache OpenOffice (formerly OpenOffice.org) as
the provider of the original artwork on which your modification is based

(3) If the object is licensed PDL
(http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html), you may modify the object
as you desire but must make you modification publicly available.

--- end of items ---

We seem to be getting many folks interested in using our artwork in
various forms lately. We still have the "Distribution FAQ" on cwiki
barely started, but it would be very helpful if we could get some of the
elements correctly aligned before I can complete that.

- -
MzK

"There's no crying in baseball!"
        -- Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), "A League of Their Own"