incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 07:34:20 GMT
Hi

On 11.06.2012 22:42, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> We are in a good shape with our OOo 3.3 update service.
>>>
>>> Thus, I will add tomorrow morning 09:30 (GMT+2)
>>> - Chinese (simplified) with download page http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>
>> Maybe better would be: http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
>>
>> That would give them more context, including the translation of the
>> AOO 3.4 announcement.
>>
>>> - Chinese (traditional) with http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>
>> Same here, maybe better would be: http://www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
>>
>>> - Dutch with http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html
>>> - French with http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>>> - German with http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>
>> I wonder if better would be: http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>>
>> So this is a question for others as well. We can either:
>>
>> 1) Point the user to the download page specifically, which is often in
>> English, rather than NL
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) Point the user to the NL page where available, provided it has a
>> prominent download link.
>>
>> Advantage of #1 is it eliminates an extra mouse click. Advantage of
>> #2 is it gives the user additional NL context, including the AOO 3.4
>> announcement and other material. So #2 is probably easier for someone
>> with less English language skills.
>
> I tend to agree with you.
>
> Unfortunately, #2 is not a real advantage (I'm only speak for the German
> webpage). The main page is in German, yes, but right the next click on the big
> donwload button brings the user to an English-speaking webpage.
>
> However, I would say that the "http://www.openoffice.org/de/" link can be indeed
> chosen. Just because this will give the German main page more attention than
> before. And - who knows - maybe also more volunteers willing to work on the
> German webpages.
>
 >>> I will do so, if nobody raises any objections.

I have activated OOo 3.3 update for:
- Chinese (simplified) with download page http://www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
- Chinese (traditional) with http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
- German with http://www.openoffice.org/de/

>>> I am proposing to add the remaining languages on Thursday morning 09:30
>>> (GMT+2). These are:
>>> - Arabic
>>> - Czech
>>> - Galician
>>> - Hungarian
>>> - Portuguese (Brazilian)

plus Russian - sorry, just forgotten

The above languages will follow on Thursday, if nobody objects.

>>> If there are any localized download pages for the above languages, please
>>> let me know - I can then update the corresponding information.

Please provide localized download pages, if possible.

Best regards, Oliver.