incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 04:44:34 GMT
On 06/11/12 22:24, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Predictably, I prefer approach I on first principles:
> Never derail the train that's running.
>
>  From that perspective, there's all of this:
>   - All of the developers and many testers and others know
>     how to build AOO 3.4.0 including people who are working
>     from the source tarball and the folks working on LibreOffice
>     and other co-dependents as well
>   - the current community includes those who build special
>     distros (of OOo and LO), provide QA that serves all of us,
>     etc.

I don't think the build procedure would change much at
all, but a change would be good. I don't think anyone is
proud of the current build system-

>   - There is still IP clearance to be done on the Symphony
>     contribution bits and that can be worked through selectively
>     as staging of features/fixes before merging to the SVN trunk.

That is rather minimal from what I have seen (ucpp).

>   - Alignment of the symphony code can be done off-trunk with
>     merging of selected features and fixes on an iterative basis
>     accompanied by testing of various kinds and localized attention
>     to build breakers and other potential regressions.

That is likely to be very difficult, and is the reason why alternative
II is being proposed. Symphony already works and builds on it's
own.

>   - There is an abundance of bug reports and analysis based on
>     the current lineage.
>   - All of the documentation, forum contributions, MediaWiki
>     and user lists are currently oriented around the OOo-lineage
>     and they need to be morphed in a progressive way, not a sudden
>     switch.

I am afraid this is something that just has to be done either
way. Some bugs are simply old and a lot of the
documentation is obsolete or under uncertain copyrights-

>   - Users and others may like new features but for many sudden
>     switches are unsettling
>   - Plan II could end up with us having to maintain OOo-lineage releases
>     and Symphony-merged releases concurrently.  That is a frightening
>     prospect.  It is like forking ourselves and maintaining both forks.
>   - Then there's the localizations, etc. that would crash against the
>     forked support, etc.

We would focus completely on the 4.x release after 3.4.1 is
released so I would expect we would EOL 3.4.x soon. We
would indeed be forking the code though; not sure what
would happen with "base".

The real question here is what works better for the people
doing the work. For me it's easier to take patches from
OOo/AOO and merge them than to try to extract features
from Symphony, but it would be interesting to hear what
the ex-Oracle guys have to say.

Pedro.