incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: official logos ???
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:55:33 GMT

On 06/11/2012 02:40 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm starting to do some work on the "Distributor FAQ" (up soonish on the
>> wiki for comments) and have come to a bit of an issue with regard to the
>> actual display and download areas of our "official" logos. (If this has been
>> discussed before, please excuse me here.)
>>
>> On the website, the "official" logo is here:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/
>>

> That is a 300x150px PNG file.   So I believe that is only a copy of
> our official logo.   The original logo should be a vector image, like
> SVG.

well...OK, I don't know where it is :/

>> However, we are no longer using this, yet I think it's still considered an
>> "official" logo.
>>

> Isn't that logo used in OOo 3.3, and we continue to distribute OOo 3.3?

ah yes...you are correct

>> We have a  reference to the new "Get It Here"
>> on our Trademarks page
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html
>>
>> which references the "project" directory
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/get-it-here/en.png
>>

> So that logo is a small PNG as well, not the original source.  Drew
> posted the source file on the wiki.
>

>> So, two questions...
>>
>> -- should any logos that we currently use on
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.x+-+Logo+Explorations
>>
>> be moved to the project images area as well.
>>
>> I'm thinking only of the one we currently use on the web server, and maybe
>> the older one as well.
>>

>> -- do we want to change
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/
>>
>> only the logos that are *in* the project images area.
>>

> OK.  So as you point out, what we have today is a mess ;-)

yes, and I don't like messes... :)

> I'd recommend that we aim for a single location for the image source
> files.  So, we have a place where we can keep the original source
> files for any important logos. This would include our current
> "official" logos, our accessory logos like the "Get it here!" logo, as
> well as source for the legacy logos.  Why bother with legacy logos?
> Because they may have graphical elements that we want to reuse in
> future logos.   If we can't find source for a particular logo, then we
> store the highest resolution, least compressed version of the bitmap
> image that we can find.
>
> If we have the original source collected in some consistent way then I
> think we can be less concerned about the rasterized versions.  There
> might be several places where these are stored.  (And they are not so
> much "stored" as "used".)  For example, one might be on the website
> (ooo-site in Subversion) while another copy might be in a product
> directory because it is used in the UI.  Another version might be on
> the wiki, or on the blog's media library.   There may be some
> advantages to trying to clean this all up and say here is the single
> one place where the raster images are stored, but that sounds like a
> lot of work.  And in some cases this might not be possible, since the
> image may need slight tweaking.  For example, one use might need an
> alpha transparency channel, while another use needs an explicit white
> background.
>

> -Rob

OK...I will try to "find" svg versions of these -- I did see what Drew
posted on the wiki; still looking for the OOo 3.3 one. I don't think
these should permanently live on the wiki. My feeling is that need to be
in a "safer" environment.

It seems many of these were under the "marketing" area in the past.
Although I don't find sources, svg, there.

Any suggestions as to  where do we want these to live?