incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:42:08 GMT
Am 06/11/2012 05:52 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 08.06.2012 11:06, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>>

>>> [snip]

>>> I was a little bit late - I was caught by some hacking to solve issues.
>>>
>>> OOo 3.3 Update Service is now active for:
>>> - Italian since Tuesday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>>> - Spanish and Japanese since Thurday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>>> - English (US) since Friday 11:00 (GMT+2)
>>>

>> We are in a good shape with our OOo 3.3 update service.
>>
>> Thus, I will add tomorrow morning 09:30 (GMT+2)
>> - Chinese (simplified) with download page http://www.openoffice.org/download
>
> Maybe better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
>
> That would give them more context, including the translation of the
> AOO 3.4 announcement.
>
>> - Chinese (traditional) with http://www.openoffice.org/download
>
> Same here, maybe better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
>
>> - Dutch with http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html
>> - French with http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>> - German with http://www.openoffice.org/download
>
> I wonder if better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>
> So this is a question for others as well.   We can either:
>
> 1) Point the user to the download page specifically, which is often in
> English, rather than NL
>
> or
>
> 2) Point the user to the NL page where available, provided it has a
> prominent download link.
>
> Advantage of #1 is it eliminates an extra mouse click.  Advantage of
> #2 is it gives the user additional NL context, including the AOO 3.4
> announcement and other material.  So #2 is probably easier for someone
> with less English language skills.

I tend to agree with you.

Unfortunately, #2 is not a real advantage (I'm only speak for the German
webpage). The main page is in German, yes, but right the next click on
the big donwload button brings the user to an English-speaking webpage.

However, I would say that the "http://www.openoffice.org/de/" link can
be indeed chosen. Just because this will give the German main page more
attention than before. And - who knows - maybe also more volunteers
willing to work on the German webpages.

Marcus