incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:17:17 GMT

On 11.06.2012 16:51, O.Felka wrote:

>>> As long as we don't install the complete office we need the maintenance
>>> mode.
>>> Applications that don't offer several modules as AOO does don't need a
>>> 'Modify' mode.
>>> If we want to offer to install e.g. only the Calc application we need
>>> the maintenance mode for these users that wants to use the Writer to a
>>> later time also.
>>> The 'Repair' option is also a part of the maintenance mode.
>>
>> The question is whether there are more people annoyed by a folder on
>> their desktop that contains files that hardly ever used or users that
>> install only a part of the application then change their mind later.
>
> As we don't have any information it would end up in wild guessing.
> comparing these two user groups is meaningless at this point.

No not meaningless, just not easily possible.

> As we started with the self extracting installer we've had to decide
> where to place the unpacked files. The desktop is the place where you
> can't oversee them.

That is one thing I still don't understand.  Why is it important that
the user has to find these files.  The installation starts automatically
after the downloaded archive has been extracted.  A repair or change is
triggered via a system dialog.  What is the use case in which the user
has to click on any of the downloaded files directly?

> Every user has option to unpack these file at a different location.

We still need a better default.

>>> As have written before, it's an option to delete the unpacked file to
>>> save disk space. The unpacked files can be used easier to distribute the
>>> AOO without downloading.
>>> In times of hard disks with TB size saving 130 MB is not so important
>>> for me.
>>
>> Maybe not for you.
>>

> As I have written.

In another issue regarding extensions installed in the user directory
you where not so forgiving about disk space.

-Andre