incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "O.Felka" <olaf-openoff...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:51:22 GMT
Am 11.06.2012 16:37, schrieb Andre Fischer:

>>> But do we really need the maintenance mode?  There are not that many
>>> applications on my system that offer one.  We are talking about 130 MB
>>> of additional disk space.
>>
>> As long as we don't install the complete office we need the maintenance
>> mode.
>> Applications that don't offer several modules as AOO does don't need a
>> 'Modify' mode.
>> If we want to offer to install e.g. only the Calc application we need
>> the maintenance mode for these users that wants to use the Writer to a
>> later time also.
>> The 'Repair' option is also a part of the maintenance mode.
>
> The question is whether there are more people annoyed by a folder on
> their desktop that contains files that hardly ever used or users that
> install only a part of the application then change their mind later.

As we don't have any information it would end up in wild guessing.
comparing these two user groups is meaningless at this point.
As we started with the self extracting installer we've had to decide
where to place the unpacked files. The desktop is the place where you
can't oversee them.
Every user has option to unpack these file at a different location.

>> As have written before, it's an option to delete the unpacked file to
>> save disk space. The unpacked files can be used easier to distribute the
>> AOO without downloading.
>> In times of hard disks with TB size saving 130 MB is not so important
>> for me.
>
> Maybe not for you.

As I have written.