incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:03:15 GMT
On 6/10/12 10:36 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:
> 2012/6/10 TJ Frazier <tjfrazier@cfl.rr.com>
>
>> On 6/10/2012 12:51, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>

>> Hi, Kay,
>>

>> IIUC, the automatic nav in cwiki is a genealogical thing: every page has a
>> parent, and that's what the nav display shows. That is easier than
>> categories — if you only want one category for that page. Mwiki is less
>> convenient, but gives you more control. You /can/ create child pages, using
>> the "slash" (/) notation; see my user page [1] for several examples. On the
>> child page, you get breadcrumbs at the top.
>>
>> While I admit I'm biased, I doubt that the cwiki nav scales well; it's
>> good for a small number of pages, but as the information gets richer, it
>> gets harder to find.
>>
>> [1] <http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/User:**TJFrazier<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:TJFrazier>
>>>

>> /tj/
>>

> Hi. My 2 cents:
>
> If you want to take advantage of Mediawiki's semantic capabilities, there's
> no need to create child pages. There are a lot of cool stuff that can be
> used to perform the tasks required in this thread.

the hierarchical structure has some advantages to organize articles that
are related to the same topic. For example the Developer's Guide is
organized this way and it allows to easy run wiki bots on the DevGuide only.

The {{DISPLAYTITLE:<your short title>}} template can be used to reduce
the visible title.

But using the right categories allows further useful tooling and
filtering of articles.

Juergen