incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:30:45 GMT
On 6/10/2012 12:51, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 06/06/2012 01:48 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org <mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org>> wrote:
>>
>> +1 on MediaWiki
>>
>> The convergence on the Community Wiki was considered early in the
>> migration and it was concluded that would not be done. �Kay Schenk
>> might have much to add on that, based on her interest then and
>> experience since.
>>
>> �- Dennis
>>

>> Well, oddly, I don't have much of a dissenting opinion.
>>
>> I personally don't use the OO MW much, but have been using the cwiki a
>> lot. I find it less quirky than MW to tell you the truth.
>>
>> I would be much much better to only maintain ONE wiki though regardless
>> of what it is.
>>
>> Mostly I use the "Project Planning" area.
>>
>> So,
>>
>> +1 on only one wiki, and given the scope of MW over cwiki, I'm happy to
>> go with MW providing the existing info -- marketing, planning, etc.
>> gets moved
>
> I would like to add one more thought/request on this topic.
>
> I've actually used Confluence -- the cwiki environment -- more over the
> course of my wiki work than MediaWiki, but there are pros and cons to each.
>
> What I REALLY like about our current cwiki setup, is the apparently
> automatic navigation generation feature. So, when you add a page under a
> category, you can quickly see what other pages are there for that area.
> This makes putting ideas "out there" very quick and efficient.
>
> I don't know MW provides in this this regard. But features like this
> make using cwki for planning pretty easy since there's no futzing with
> filing into categories etc. SO, if there is a way to do this same kind
> of thin in MW, we should definitely enable such a feature.

Hi, Kay,

IIUC, the automatic nav in cwiki is a genealogical thing: every page has
a parent, and that's what the nav display shows. That is easier than
categories — if you only want one category for that page. Mwiki is less
convenient, but gives you more control. You /can/ create child pages,
using the "slash" (/) notation; see my user page [1] for several
examples. On the child page, you get breadcrumbs at the top.

While I admit I'm biased, I doubt that the cwiki nav scales well; it's
good for a small number of pages, but as the information gets richer, it
gets harder to find.

[1] <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:TJFrazier>

/tj/