incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:51:03 GMT

On 06/06/2012 01:48 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org <mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org>> wrote:
>
>     +1 on MediaWiki
>
>     The convergence on the Community Wiki was considered early in the
>     migration and it was concluded that would not be done. �Kay Schenk
>     might have much to add on that, based on her interest then and
>     experience since.
>
>     �- Dennis
>

> Well, oddly, I don't have much of a dissenting opinion.
>
> I personally don't use the OO MW much, but have been using the cwiki a
> lot. I find it less quirky than MW to tell you the truth.
>
> I would be much much better to only maintain ONE wiki though regardless
> of what it is.
>
> Mostly I use the "Project Planning" area.
>
> So,
>
> +1 on only one wiki, and given the scope of MW over cwiki, I'm happy to
> go with MW providing the existing info -- marketing, planning, etc.
> gets moved

I would like to add one more thought/request on this topic.

I've actually used Confluence -- the cwiki environment -- more over the
course of my wiki work than MediaWiki, but there are pros and cons to each.

What I REALLY like about our current cwiki setup, is the apparently
automatic navigation generation feature. So, when you add a page under a
category, you can quickly see what other pages are there for that area.
This makes putting ideas "out there" very quick and efficient.

I don't know MW provides in this this regard. But features like this
make using cwki for planning  pretty easy since there's no futzing with
filing into categories etc. SO, if there is a way to do this same kind
of thin in MW, we should definitely enable such a feature.