incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Brawley <peter.braw...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: download page misbehaviour
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:12:07 GMT
On 2012-06-09 10:30 AM, Peter Brawley wrote:
> On 64-bit Win 7 Pro, Chrome and the AOO download page misbehave
> together in these ways:
>
> (i) the page fails to check for existing versions, ie whether I need a
> virgin installation or merely an upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4
>
> (ii) Chrome identifies the page as incorrectly secured, yet the
> download begins
>
> (iii) during that, if I answer 'Yes' to the question do I want to run
> the page despite its inadequate security, Chrome launches a second
> download.
>
> All this began when I found I'd fatally wounded my OO3.3 installation
> by deleting its redundant desktop icon.
>
> There's OO work to do.

I should've mentioned that I'd removed the desktop icon because I'd
moved a copy of it to QuickLaunch. Unfortunately, deleting the desktop
icon disabled the QuickLaunch icon and made OO3.3 non-functional. That
shouldn't happen.

Back to the 3.4 installation. Once the download is finished, I click on
the downloaded file, expecting to find an installer to run. Not.
Instead, I'm greeted by a dialog that tells me the package is from an
unknown source. Really, AOO couldn't get this wee detail sorted?

Do I want to run it anyway? Why yes. I'm expecting an installation to
begin. Not. It merely unpacks the package, leaving behind a desktop icon
for itself. AOO couldn't figure out how to automate this step? Oh wait,
mebbe the AOO folks want to give me a choice about I begin the
installation. I double-click on the desktop icon. Up comes a list of fle
sin the package. They include an .msi file and a setup.exe. in Windows,
you should be able to install by double-clicking on the .msi. here, not:
I get a dialog telling me to run setup.exe. Duh. If that's the case, why
not just run that automatically rather than  wasting my time with this
fake work with these fake choices?

So on we go. Again I get an option to create a desktop icon. I want a
QuickLaunch icon, not a desktop icon. But if I turn the former into the
latter, I'll break OO. Never mind, I'll create my own.

Soon I see another dialog, asking me to end existing OO processes.
Yikes, I have to start over.

When I'm done, I create my own QuickLaunch icon.

There are installation glitches to fix.

PB