incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "O.Felka" <olaf-openoff...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 13:57:06 GMT
Am 09.06.2012 14:22, schrieb sebb:

>>> AFAICT, the unpacked files are only needed for installation, and one
>>> still has the initial download, so why clutter up the disk?
>>

>> this is not true. The unpacked files are needed for the so called
>> 'maintenance mode': Starting the setup from the control panel offers you a
>> repair and a modify mode. That's what the unpacked files are needed for.
>
> In that case, they really should *not* be placed on the desktop.
> Nor under TEMP of course.
>
> I don't know what the Windows standard location for such things is,
> but it's certainly not the desktop.

On Vista and 7 it could be "c:\Users\<user name>\Downloads\". Who
remembers Win XP?

> And of course, if the user decides to remove the application, it
> should remove the unpacked files as well.

I don't know any software behaving like that so I don't think that we
need that. If the user is deinstalling for a new install he needs these
files.
And in case someone has installed from a CD it doesn't make sense.

>> What we might delete is the packed file.
>
> Only if this is agreed by the user.

As always when deleting useful files.