incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: $PERL not respected
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 05:34:44 GMT
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 08:42:19PM +0200, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>> [...]
>> Looking through the logs I saw
>> ./bootstrap: 46: download_external_dependencies.pl: Permission denied
>> and that pointed at missing execute permissions for that script.
>>
>> I committed the fix as revision 1348184

With that fix the buildbot is happy now about the new download script:
http://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/builds/248/steps/compile_3/logs/stdio

> Looking at bootstrap.1, that file gets executed by a system perl
> (supposed you have one installed), not respecting the perl set with
> --with-perl-home, stored in $PERL.

Good point. And when it has been converted so that all these scripts are
run via "$PERL" then I think we should drop their exec-flags and
eventually also their shebang lines.
   ls -l main/solenv/bin/*pl
shows that the exec-bits were handled inconsistently and the scripts
using them tended to be wrong by ignoring --with-perl-home.

> I should try a full build renaming /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl.foo
> and configuring with --with-perl-home, I guess there will be more places
> than the ones found in the attached patch.

This is an interesting experiment. Running
   find . -name "*.p[lm]" -exec grep -l bin/perl {} \;
gives a first indication that there will be quite many areas where to
expect problems that cannot be easily found by the perl.foo experiment
such as the platform or language specific or scripts.

Herbert