incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Javier Sola <li...@khmeros.info>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:30:11 GMT
For most of our customers, how computers work inside is magic... they do
not want to know how it works. Entering into a setup page is a crazy
thing to do, the computer will surely break down.

For them, if double clicking in the file does not go to where it went
yesterday, what is broken is the application (you broke my MS Word, it
does not work any more). They do not know any other way to access that
application.

In migration processes, you have to install the new applications and
then manage the change process. Forcing change from one day to the next
might fully break the process and the migration will fail because the
new application will be rejected by users who have not yet been trained.

In my opinion AOO needs to have (even for legal reason, maybe) the user
click on something that says that they accept the associations (or not)
as it used to have. For silent installation, there should be an option
to do it or not.

I think that the idea of allowing the change from the application itself
is very good. Users like to use the application... not mess up with the
system.

Cheers,

Javier

On 6/6/12 7:07 PM, Shenfeng Liu wrote:
> One more question is: what's the behavior in 3.3? In my desktop, doc was auto-associated
to AOO 3.4, but not ppt or xls. It does not look like an intentional design. If it is just
a regression, I will suggest to simply rolling back to 3.3 for now.

> - Simon
>
> 发自我的 iPhone
>
> 在 2012-6-6,17:07,"O.Felka"<olaf-openoffice@gmx.de>  写道:
>
>> Am 06.06.2012 10:33, schrieb Shenfeng Liu:
>>> Juergen,
>>>    Agree with you!
>>>    My personal opinion is that it must be an explicit place for user to
>>> choose the file association, in installer, or option dialog...
>>>    Well, we need UX experts here...
>> We should be aware that file association written by the Options dialog won't be removed
by the setup.
>> The setup doesn't know the registry keys written by the application.
>>

>> Groetjes,
>> Olaf
>>
>>> - Simon

And