incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org>
Subject Moderation best practices & FAQ
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 02:47:01 GMT
Hi moderators, *,

I have a couple of questions WRT the best practices of moderating AOO
mailing list. As I have found, the mailing lists FAQs
(ooo-dev-faq@incubator.apache.org) are yet non-existent, so the
discussion here should also be used to contribute FAQs.

My questions are:

1) Shall moderators contact senders who are not subscribed to a mailing
list an letting them know that they might not receive the answers to
their questions? Or, going one step further, pointing those senders on
the list archive, so they can look for replies there.

I'm not doing this at the moment. If we would agree to do so, it would
be good to draft a reply template that every moderator can use.

2) Shall moderators contact senders who are disclosing their complete
contact information (e.g. telephone, address) that it will be exposed in
public before moderating the posting?

My proceeding is to let those messages through if the sender is
disclosing corporate contact information that one can find in
directories or elsewhere. If the sender is disclosing private
information, I'm not letting the message through but contact the person
asking for an explicit allowance.

3) Should moderators report frequent spammers to Infra?

IMHO it might make sense to improve spam filters. Is there any automated
process implemented?

FAQs that seem to be clear are:

Q: Where can I find the Apache committer's mail FAQ: