incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Windows 8 Compatibility?
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 23:28:15 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Of course, there is more that we could do to be a well-integrated
> Windows desktop application.  The best practices are outlined here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/hh749939

I have no idea on many of those, but there are a couple of items that I
noticed:

- 5. Apps must support a clean, reversible installation: this would need
some work if it means that, when overwriting (say) version 3.3,
OpenOffice 3.4 (or 3.4.1, or 4.0, whatever) should allow to roll back to
version 3.3 upon failed installation. Much would actually depend on how
a "failed" installation is defined...

- 10.2 Your app must avoid starting automatically on startup: would this
mean that the Quickstarter must be disabled by default, that it must be
removed (this would be problematic) or that it can stay because (current
bugs aside...) it doesn't actually start OpenOffice?

Still, with the large majority of OpenOffice users on Windows and User
Experience becoming a medium-term priority for OpenOffice, it would be
reasonable to prepare in order to be ready for Windows 8.

Regards,
   Andrea.