incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From imacat <ima...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:12:41 GMT
On 2012/06/06 19:56, Paulo de Souza Lima said:
> 2012/6/6 Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Herbert Duerr schrieb:

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> Speaking of the OOo/AOO Wiki community the Wiki has been a target of
>>> attacks by Spambots or Annoybots for a long time. Please see e.g.
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/w/index.php?**
>>> title=Special:RecentChanges&**limit=500<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500>
>>>
>>> which shows that most of the changelog entries are caused by these
>>> Annoybots subscribing about 50 dummy users every day.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is critical because it could blow up the service
>>> but browsing the recent changes list feels like analyzing the contents
>>> of a garbage bin instead of a "hey these are interesting updates"
>>> moment. Whatever is decided to become the new Wiki I hope it is more
>>> resilient against these attacks as we are a high profile target getting
>>> plenty of page hits on the Wiki and there are also some people that
>>> really want our project to die and put some effort into it. When our
>>> three Wikis get overhauled this should be a consideration.
>>>

>> Can we restrict the account creation as described in
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**Manual:Preventing_access#**
>> Restrict_account_creation<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access#Restrict_account_creation>
>>
>> You need no account to read the Wiki, so its purpose giving support is not
>> restricted.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Regina
>>

> Hummm... That could prevent new contributors to join the project, but have
> no interest in joining something more, let's say, "official". For example:
> people who write tutorials, tips and tricks, people who make individual
> efforts locally and so on.
>
> There are other ways to block bots and fake users.
>
> Best regards.

    Thanks for reminding us the spam problem.  Luckily, the spam bots
seems to only register new users currently, but not destroying the
content.  I shall see if finer CAPTCHA can be implemented to the MediaWiki.

    I do not favor closing its new account registration.  If we want to
keep it, we need new users to update it.

    Please also remember that there is no multilingual site design on
the current cwiki.  If we want to replace the current MediaWiki with
CWiki, multilingual site design must be enabled on CWiki.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw>