incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject *DRAFT FINAL* June board report
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:13:14 GMT
OK -- I hope this is the final.

Rob -- I did see what you meant on the grad issues so I changed this a
bit...and my spell checker was not functioning before so hopefully
better now. Thanks for all the feedback.

back later...again, formatting will be corrected later

Project Name and Brief Description:

OpenOffice (was OpenOffice.org)

* OpenOffice entered incubation 2011-06-13

OpenOffice is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing
six productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
OpenOffice is released on multiple platforms.  Its localizations support
have supported 110 languages worldwide.

Most Important Items To Address Toward Graduation:

   1. Review of distributed articles to ensure compliance with ASF policy
   2. Given the size and scope of OpenOffice, continue work on
"community readiness" especially with regard to
     organization and communication style.

We have started preliminary discussion concerning graduation as we would
like to propose graduation within the next month.

Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness

   - Leaks from ooo-private to outside agencies

   Possible leaks of information from the ooo-private email list are
   being investigated. Our first objective is to first establish if and
   how leaks occurred. Once full details are available we will be working
   to address the issue directly. No action is currently required from
   the board and an update will be provided, at the latest, in our next
   report.

Community Development/Outreach  Progress

   - Since our last report we have voted in 13 new Committers/PPMC members.
   - Since our last report, 2 committer/PPMC members have resigned
   - We have improved to act more as a self organized project to address
     and solve project related topics (e.g. forum moderation)
   - We were able to initiate transfer of SPI funds formerly earmarked
for OpenOffice.org
     to the ASF. However, due to changes in the ASF Fundraising chair,
this transfer has been postponed.
     Followup with ASF Fundraising is needed to complete this transaction.
     These funds, as previously discussed, will primarily be used for
developer travel when needed.
   - We accepted an offer from SourceForge to host our older 3.3 version
and provide client installs of
     latest release 3.4. This event was accomplished after much
discussion among members and consultation
     with mentors.
   - Due to heightened interest, we are putting more resources
(services, volunteers) into translation efforts
   - We are more putting effort into addressing trademark and
third-party distributin requests. Ongoing emphasis as to
     how to accommodate and track these requests is becoming an
important concern.
   - We are increasing our global reach by recruiting volunteers to help
update and maintain the large set of native language home pages"
   - Established various social programming accounts for additional
outreach: Twitter, Google+, Facebook
   - Setup two additional native language mailing lists

Project Development Progress
   - Pootle services for the project were established and used.
     Translation services will be ongoing as new contributors for this
service join.
   - We released Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on May 8, 2012.
     This release included:
       Six different client platform install versions in 15 languages
       Source tarballs in English
       Software development kit packaging for 5 platforms
       Language packs for 15 languages

     Over 3 million downloads the first month.
     A summary of downloads for the installs can be found at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline

   - We are currently working on an alternate repository for category-B
code to comply
     with graduation requirements
   - An SGA was received from IBM for IBM Lotus Symphony.
     We are now preparing to import IBM Symphony changes into the
OpenOffice repository
     This should be complete by the time of the June board meeting.
   - We are putting renewed effort into the "user experience". Apache
OpenOffice is an end-user
     product, the best quality product and best experience for end users
is one of our primary goals.
   - Testing and implementation of old update service for OpenOffice has
been accomplished.
     This service is for older OpenOffice clients to identify updates
and, optionally, install
     an update if available.
   - Community support forums remain popular with users but registration
seems to have stabilized.
     The ooo-users list also is quite active.
     As Apache OpenOffice is a client product, we continue to
investigate ways to direct
     users to appropriate support venues.
   - The developer list, ooo-dev, now has 409 subscribers and is very
active with post averaging about
     100 per day

MzK

"Everything will be all right in the end...
  if it's not all right then it's not the end. "
                -- Sonny, "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"