incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: *DRAFT* June board report...please help
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:01:19 GMT

On 06/05/2012 05:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> OK, here's a draft -- Dennis is working on getting me actual "people"
>> numbers later today, so what I have here in terms of new committers is just
>> a (bad) guess. And, duh -- we only report in March, June, September,
>> December, so what I have here in terms of what we've been doing since March
>> is probably way, way off... Please update as you see fit!
>>
>> I now have an incubator wiki account so I will happily post when we're done
>>

>> == proposed June AOO report ==
>>
>> *Project Name and Brief Description*
>>
>> OpenOffice (was OpenOffice.org)
>>
>> * OpenOffice entered incubation 2011-06-13
>>
>> OpenOffice is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing
>> six productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
>> OpenOffice is released on multiple platforms.  Its localizations  have
>> supported 110 languages worldwide.
>>
>> * Most Important Items To Address Toward Graduation *
>>
>>   1. Review of distributed articles to ensure compliance with ASF policy
>>   2. Given the size and scope of OpenOffice, continue work on    "community
>> readiness" espeically with refgard to
>>     organization and communication style.
>>   3. Increase size and diversity of the active development community
>>

> It seems odd to have a list that large and say that we're about to
> start a graduation vote.

OK, I don't get your meaning here...

  My impression was we're really only working
> on #1, and Andre and Pedro seem to have those under control.  #2 and
> #3 are ongoing activities, before and after graduation, for us and any
> other Apache project.

we had #3 in the March report, so I just left it.

I put in #2, because this is a "point" in the preparing for graduation
document, and goes to how well we operate as a "group". The reason I
included it was twofold: to give communication style/interoperability
more attention by us; and to make sure the incubator board knows we
think this is important.

  But I don't think we have any graduation
> blocking issues there.

no...it's just a "awareness" list.

>> We have started preliminary discussion concerning graduation, and are
>> putting renewed emphasis on the above items
>> as we would like to propose graduation within the next month.
>>
>> * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness *
>>
>>   - None
>>
>> * Community Development Progress *
>>
>>   - Since our last report we have voted in 5 (?) new Committers/PPMC members.
>>   - Since our last report, one committer/PPMC member has resigned
>>   - We have improved to act more as a self organized project to address
>>     and solve project related topics (eg. budget transfer from SPI, forum
>> moderation).
>>   - We accepted an offer from SourceForge to host our older 3.3 version and
>> provide client installs of our latest release 3.4.
>> This decision was arrived after much discussion among members and
>> consulation with mentors.
>>   - Due to heightened interest, we are putting more resources (services,
>> volunteers) into translation efforts
>>   - We are putting more effort into addressing trademark and third-party
>> distributin requests. Ongoing emphasis as to
>>     how to accomodate and track these requests is becoming an important
>> concern.
>>   - We are putting renewed emphasis on recruitment to assist with maintaiing
>> now abandoned former native-language project web sites.
>>

> I'd word that as, 'We are increasing our global reach by recruiting
> volunteers to help update and maintain the large set of legacy native
> language home pages"

ok -- will do

>> * Project Development Progress *
>>
>>   - We released Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on May 8, 2012.
>
> Over three million downloads in the first month.
>
>>     This release included:
>>       Five different client platform install versions in 15 languages
>>       Source tarbalss in Engligh
>>       Software development kit packaging for 5 platforms
>>       Language packs for 15 languages
>>
>>     A summary of downloads for the installs can be found at:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>>
>>         We would like to publicly acknowledge the efforts of our mentors, the
>> Apache infrastructure team, and the wonderful folks at SourceForge in making
>> this release a success!
>>

>>   - We are currently working on an alternate repository for category-B code
>> to comply with graduation requirements
>>   - Prepartion was made in May for importing IBM Symphony changes into the
>> OpenOffice repository
>
> Maybe first say an SGA was received from IBM for IBM Lotus Symphony,
> and now are preparing to import...

ok...

>>     This should be complete by the time of the June board meeting.
>>   - Work is continuing on making translation processes easier for volunteers.
>> Currently, only committers can access the Pootel server.
>>   - Testing and implementation of old update service for OpenOffice has been
>> accomplished. This service is for older OpenOffice clients to identify
>> updates and, optionally, install an update if available.
>>   - !!!! need and update on this one and the mailing list numbers!!:
>
> For ooo-dev we have 409 subscribers !
>
>>     Community support forums remain popular with users, hitting a new
>>     concurrency record (296)
>>

> Very good report.  I see you have some other suggestions as well.
> Once those are included, and maybe a run through a spell checker, it
> should be "ready to go".
>
> Thanks for volunteering to draft this!

you're welcome...

> -Rob
>

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "So let it rock, let it roll
>> Let the bible belt come and save my soul
>> Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
>> Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
>>           -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp

MzK

"Everything will be all right in the end...
  if it's not all right then it's not the end. "
                -- Sonny, "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"