incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 08:36:52 GMT
On 06.06.2012 05:57, imacat wrote:
>      It's relatively easy to start a new Wiki or discard an existing one.
>   But to form and keep a live Wiki community is a lot harder than just
> moving.

Agreed.

Speaking of the OOo/AOO Wiki community the Wiki has been a target of
attacks by Spambots or Annoybots for a long time. Please see e.g.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500
which shows that most of the changelog entries are caused by these
Annoybots subscribing about 50 dummy users every day.

I'm not sure if this is critical because it could blow up the service
but browsing the recent changes list feels like analyzing the contents
of a garbage bin instead of a "hey these are interesting updates"
moment. Whatever is decided to become the new Wiki I hope it is more
resilient against these attacks as we are a high profile target getting
plenty of page hits on the Wiki and there are also some people that
really want our project to die and put some effort into it. When our
three Wikis get overhauled this should be a consideration.

Herbert