incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From imacat <ima...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 03:57:14 GMT
    I have no opinion whether to join the two Wikis, or discard the
current MediaWiki.  Actually, the current content on MediaWiki is quite
outdated and misleading.  We may need significant amount of effort to
keep the MediaWiki dated.  If we want to keep MediaWiki, we may need to
discard a large amount of the content and start from beginning.

    However, I would like to remind you that, some nice people here are
already starting this work.  If we want to discard MediaWiki, we may
need to consider how to move the whole Wiki community, not just the Wiki
content.

    It's relatively easy to start a new Wiki or discard an existing one.
 But to form and keep a live Wiki community is a lot harder than just
moving.

On 2012/06/06 09:45, Kevin Grignon said:
> KG01 - see comments inline.
>
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, chengjh <chengjh@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We see,the old OpenOffice.org wiki
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page  has accumulated plenty
>>> of valuable information,including planning,function specification,technical
>>> documents and so on..Currently,the planning and project tracking parts have
>>> been moved to
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home,that means a
>>> new start of the project.Because the two wikis are two different wiki
>>> software systems,moreover, there are existing different writing styles
>>> between them and writers need accounts for them respectively, it is not
>>> convenient for writers to write wiki articles when switching between
>>> them...So, I propose to create a new wiki for developers to record
>>> technical documents,technical review,proposals/ideas,function specification
>>> and design,and so on by sub-project categories, for example,we can move the
>>
>> We actually already have a 3rd wiki, for developers:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home
>>
>> Here is the history:
>>
>> The MediaWiki instance was the legacy wiki, used by OpenOffce.org project
>>
>> When the Apache project was create, we had two new wiki's created.
>> Remember at that time we had not yet migrated the MediaWiki over to
>> Apache, and it was not certain whether we would be able to do it.
>>
>> The two new wikis were:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home    This
>> was the "community wiki" where anyone could create an account and edit
>> content.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home   This
>> wiki was restricted to committers.
>>
>> The OOODEV wiki made it suitable for content that might make it into a
>> product release.  For example logos, draft help, etc.  If this was put
>> on an open wiki, where anyone would access it, then we'd need to do
>> much more work to track permissions if we wanted to move something
>> from the wiki into SVN for use in a release.  Having a wiki that was
>> only writable by committers ensure that the content is always under
>> ALv2.
>>
>> If we want to go to a single wiki, I think we should resolve the
>> license issue.    And we should also encourage CTR by ensuring that
>> there is an email notification for changes.  We do that for CWiki
>> today.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> KG01 - While I appreciate that wiki-oriented design and development resources are scarce,
we should consider forming a swat team to sort this out. As a distributed team we need usable
tools and useful info. To help orient readers, and make active versus archival material distinct,
we should consider a rapid visual refresh, or some other predominant visual affordable. The
current "document: outdated" is not predominant enough.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw>