incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 08:00:45 GMT
On 6/4/12 7:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
>>> but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
>>> can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
>>> website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
>>> volunteers.
>>
>> you are faster than I ;-)
>>

> Or just more free time ;-0
>
>> I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide
>>

> The topic is broader than just Pootle, so I hope we have a new page
> that covers the higher-level questions, such as what I have here.
> That can then point into the Pootle wiki for details on using that
> tool.

>>> =How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=
>>>

>>> ==Introduction==
>>>
>>> OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
>>> especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
>>> minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
>>> products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
>>> model facilitates this.
>>>
>>> Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
>>> updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
>>> added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
>>> translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
>>> the translations current, complete and accurate.
>>>
>>> A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
>>> OpenOffice can be found here:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>>
>>> A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
>>> translations are listed here:
>>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/
>>>
>>> [ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
>>> Pootle as well. ]
>>
>> the url is correct for the UI, we have a separate project for the help
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34_help/
>>

> OK. So we should mentioned both.  I also see projects for AOO 4.0 in
> Pootle.  What is that for?

AOO 4.0 is currently a placeholder for future work, it was initially
created by Raphael as well as plain OOo (Apache OpenOffice (incubating)

I don't have the necessary rights to create or delete projects yet. I
have to work on this ;-)

>>> [ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
>>> thought we had more than 71 languages ]
>>
>> no I think we have more, I have started to integrated all po's we have
>> in the repo but have had problems with some of them. This work have to
>> be finished...
>>

> OK.  So maybe on the wiki page where we list volunteers we list all of
> the languages.  And then we can put a note that says if a volunteer
> wants to work on a language that is not yet loaded onto Pootle, they
> should send a note to the list.

we have 112 sdf files in our repo, means 112 languages. Ok one is a
helper only.

> And if someone wants to work on an entirely new language?  How do they
> get started there?   We should have some info on that.

good idea, bit I will try to update pootle with all languages

Juergen