incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject The new fetch_tarballs.sh
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:45:25 GMT
... is called download_external_libraries.pl.

It is a rewrite in Perl with the following improvements:

- There can be an arbitrary number of download sites.  In fact, I have
added all original download sites that I could find (24 of the 38
category-A files, but only 4 of the 14 category-B files).

- There can be several download sites per file.  If one does not work
the next is tried.  This allows the use of
ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com as fallback for the original
site and the SVN repository as a second fallback.

- Each external library can be included or excluded conditionally.  For
example the category-B libraries are now loaded only when category-B is
enabled.  I used this for one other library, seamonkey.  Now it is
loaded only when it is later built (in the moz module).

- On Windows it is much faster when all tar-balls are already present eg
when you just re-run configure with a different set of flags.  On my
machine it runs in under 1 second instead of the 5 seconds of
fetch_tarballs.sh: Perl can do most things in process for which
fetch_tarballs.sh had to run external programs.  These additional
processes are apparently quite expensive.

Some details:

The download script is main/solenv/bin/download_external_libraries.pl.
You will find it (I hope) well documented.

The data file has a new format and I took the opportunity to rename it
to main/external_libs.lst.  It is also documented and should not be too
hard to figure out.

Now the important part:
It did not yet make it the default.  The changes are substantial and at
a very central place.  In order to activate it just set the environment
variable USE_NEW_EXTLIB_DOWNLOAD to something, before bootstrap is called:
     export USE_NEW_EXTLIB_DOWNLOAD=t

I tested it on Windows, Linux, and Mac but there are so many
combinations of configure switches that I may have missed one that does
not yet work with the new download script.

Please try it and tell me about any errors.

I hope this helps in our quest to solve the category-B questions.
     Andre