incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:05:54 GMT
On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
> but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
> can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
> website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
> volunteers.

you are faster than I ;-)

I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

> =How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=
>

> ==Introduction==
>
> OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
> especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
> minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
> products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
> model facilitates this.
>
> Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
> updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
> added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
> translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
> the translations current, complete and accurate.
>
> A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
> OpenOffice can be found here:
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
> translations are listed here:
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/
>
> [ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
> Pootle as well. ]

the url is correct for the UI, we have a separate project for the help

https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34_help/

> [ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
> thought we had more than 71 languages ]

no I think we have more, I have started to integrated all po's we have
in the repo but have had problems with some of them. This work have to
be finished...

> ==How to Help==
>
> First, register your interest.   We track a list of volunteers
> interested in helping with each language on our wiki here: XXXX
>
> [ This doesn't exist yet, but I propose adding it ]

yes, but we should create one to track the progress and to know who is
working on the different languages. Good to know whom to contact ;-)

I will do that ...

I would propose ooo-l10n@apache.org (otherwise i18n)

> If a build with your language already exists, you should download and
> install.  If you find errors in the translation, you can report it
> directly as a bug report in Bugzilla
> (https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=native-lang) or
> enter a suggested fix into Pootle (more on Pootle below).
>
> If a build is not yet ready for your language, then that typically
> means that the translation is not yet complete.  You can help finish
> the translation in several ways:
>
> 1) You can send a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n list if we
> make one] requesting the PO file for that language.  This file can be
> loaded into a translation management tool where you can edit the
> translation.  When done, or when you've make progress that you want to
> verify, you can submit the new PO file as an attachment in Bugzilla.
> This approach works well if you are the only person working on a
> translation.
>
> [ I need a list of some suggested tools that can be used with PO files ]

see http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

A tool to verify the sdf files
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Gsicheck