incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Bring back the distributors page!
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:20:05 GMT
On 6/1/12 11:54 PM, Donald Whytock wrote:
> Not a committer here, but I've been following the list, and have seen
> much kvetching about pages containing outdated, inoperable and/or
> fraudulent links to outside sites, and how much trouble it is to go
> through them and clean out the trash.
>
> It may be helpful to people who want to buy support services for OO,
> but it's also a burden to the people who maintain the site, and little
> to no burden at all to a service vendor who places a link on the site
> and then goes out of business.
>
> Starting with a clean page at this point would simply mean the problem
> will come up again later.
>
> I know this is introducing work, but I'd like to make a suggestion: a
> distributor sign-up form that accepts a name, a link, an email address
> and a text blurb.  Sign-ups get stored in a database and await review.
>  The distributor page is either generated dynamically each time or is
> re-generated every night, from the database entries that have been
> reviewed and approved.
>
> Sign-ups should have timestamps, and should only last for X amount of
> time.  At X minus some reasonable Y, an email is sent to the address
> in the sign-up advising them to renew.
>
> This reduces the burden on ASF volunteers, doesn't unduly burden
> distributors, and ensures users/buyers have timely information.
>
> Though I still think this might be better in a user forum.

interesting idea and it would at least require some minimal action of
distributors to get listed. And even better if potential distributors
would join the project to help with such a distributor page in general.
It seems that there are personal interests and don't expect that others
do the work for you. You can always try to move things forward on your own.

Juergen