incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:06:41 GMT
On 6/3/12 11:34 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 16:44:28 -0400
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

name in conversation?) whether you were confirming the user's report.

possible blocker for 3.4.1. How is this being tested on Windows? And is the result that installing
AOO 3.4 on it does in fact cause (or even has as a default) the shifting of MS Office document
types to be opened with AOO instead of MS Office. If MS Office is present then this must not
be the the default option.

accept buttons through the WIndows installation process. Users must explicitly choose to have
AOO override MS Office for MS Office documents.

>>> Well, I admit that I didn't do it this last time - but there has been an
>>> option for this, for a long time. The person running the installer has
>>> to choose custom install to see it is all - or did this change along the
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Making an intelligent choice for default behavior is important and needs
>>> to be, the desire being to server most users best by limiting the amount
>>> of interaction required to perform the installation.
>>>
>>> It is my feeling, given the small of number of (small but also of a
>>> frequency over time) individuals commenting in the negative on this
>>> choice, that for the majority it is the correct choice.
>>>

>> Good point.  2.7 million downloads and a handful of complaints.
>> Certainly there are more complaints unreported, but this is still very
>> small percentage wise.
>>
>>> It also seems to me that in most of the cases where a person did contact
>>> one of our support channels regarding the changes that a fairly quick
>>> response about file associations did the trick.
>>>
>>> I'm sure however that a better way of informing the user of the option
>>> could be found, as most things can be improved. Though it seems to me
>>> that in the particular this has not a big issue for most Windows users.
>>>

>> Do we have any FAQ's for AOO 3.4?   Do we have a sense of what the
>> common questions are at this point, based on the forums and ooo-users?
>>  Putting such FAQ's in a prominent place would help.
>>

> Three immediate subjects for such an FAQ come to mind:
> 1) The file associations just discussed
> 2) When Java is needed for Windows it should be 32bit and version 1.6

it can be a 64 bit version but needs to be configured to run in 32bit
mode for AOO. Java options -> JVM flag "-d32" when I remember it
correctly from my brain without checking it in detail.

Juergen