incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Rules of voting for new committers and PPMC members
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 08:04:28 GMT
On 6/4/12 4:30 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- Dom 3/6/12, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> ha scritto:

>>> yes, this is standard ASF policy.
>>>
>>> My question/concern at this point would be --
>>>
>>> how well do we think this works for Apache OpenOffice?
>>
>> The PPMC has had the practice of making Committers into PPMC
>> members on the same VOTE. This is the practice for some
>> Apache projects, but not all. I think that from now on this
>> project should always have separate votes as a matter of
>> policy.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> I agree. But I see two level of problems:
>
> 1) Pootle. At this time it's not possible to identify
> contributors and the PPMC is basically forced to
> bring them in as committers. Here the committer+PPMC
> vote is usually abused.

pootle and the current setup requires definitely more work to identify
contributions. Having committers for each language would simplify the
process a lot. And people who actively contribute translation are of
course perfect candidates to become a committer.

> 2) The PPMC has a tendency to bring in non-developers
> that usually don't need to be committers at all. I am
> not sure this fits strictly the Apache model but while
> it is clear that not all contributions are in code
> form, there is no other way of empowering them that
> does not go through making them committers first.

I don't see a real problem here, committers have more rights but you
don't have to use it if not necessary. In such cases we could combine
the vote for committer and PMC. We should not complicate things.

commiters get an @apache.org email and can of course edit the webpage,
get blog access, etc. all this is not related to any code contribution
but helpful.

But as mentioned earlier we should separate the vote for becoming
committer and PMC. We don't have any pressure and can observe
contribution over some time.

I don't see a problem to figure out good candidates for the PMC over time.

>From my point of view we don't need any further rock solid rules others
than what already have. And we simply start to separate the votes it's
fine and goes in the right direction. A PMC with hundreds of members
won't probably scale very well but a project with hundreds of committers
does.

Juergen