incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 21:52:46 GMT
On 06/02/12 15:11, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

>> Well I am a committer in the only big UNIX-like
>> distribution that is carrying Apache OpenOffice
>> nowadays. We would really like to use a source
>> distribution through ASF mirrors but since the ASF
>> doesn't provide one that works well we have been
>> rolling our own. Having a working source
>> distribution would help attract linux packagers,
>> I think.
>>

> well if that is really the case you have failed on several levels
>
> - you didn't really have used or tried the source tarball
> - you didn't gave the appropriate and necessary feedback
> - you didn't helped to fix your concerns relating the source release. At least it seems
you have some concerns

Sure, I am not perfect but you can't really blame the
messenger if the package was broken.

I have huge experience packaging stuff for my own selfish
purposes in the past (BRL-CAD, FEM utilities, stuff like that),
however I am not a ports committer/packager myself;
I am a src committer. You can see my work in some sound
drivers, the ext2fs implementation and some compiler
updates. I have been very busy between kernel coding
and the AOO SVN stuff to work also on the AOO
packaging.

The vast packaging work in FreeBSD has been done by
Maho-san for several years and he has been so efficient
I haven't really had to intervene other than to give some
minor suggestions. He is a ports committer and I am so
glad he has been around to take care of things.

I have been busy on some updates and I only noticed
a few days ago that we are not using the source tarballs
provided by Apache. I can't really test everything behind
a release and, with due respect, all I do is voluntary work
so I do have to spend my time in other activities too.

I am attempting to provide some feedback here but
I would suggest you ask the guys doing Ubuntu or
Debian packaging if they are using the src tarballs
and how we can make the packaging easier.

> That makes me really thinking ...

Please stop imagining things. I know you guys are not
happy about having to do extra reshuffling in the tree
and playing with scripts to adapt things to what *I*
think is the Apache way. In all honesty let's admit I had
mentioned this was a grey area since a long time ago
and I have even offered to step aside and let
the project evolve on it's own.

Pedro.