incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 13:42:57 GMT
Hi,

On 01.06.2012 15:09, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> next and refined steps - see below.
>>
>> Please hold me back, if the schedule is too tough.
>>
>> Best regards, Oliver.
>>
>> On 31.05.2012 10:38, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>>

>>> [snip]
>>>

>>> Ok.
>>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for
>>> a part
>>> of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can be
>>> handled. No objections from my side.
>>>
>>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>>> infrastructure
>>> team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the check of
>>> updates
>>> is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an entry with
>>> their
>>> data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an update is
>>> available.
>>> All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation is up to date.
>>>

>>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>>

>> It looks like we will go for it.
>> Thus, I will reduce the current XML document to the italian entries.
>>

>>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>>> established at a certain day.
>>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>>

>> I will try to get in contact with ASF infrastructure team today.
>>

>>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>>> for
>>> this page.
>>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>>

>> Instead of a new landing page it looks like that we will go for the
>> corresponding NL pages.
>> I will update the links in the XML document accordingly.
>> Rob: Can you provide the URL parameters for the Google Analytics tracking?
>> I will use "?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade" when
>> I am updating the XML document. Please refine, if needed - Thx in advance.
>>

> That is correct for upgrades from the 3.3 client.   But we would
> change the "utm_source" parameter when we enable OOo 3.2. updates.

Ok and yes, the parameter can be changed for the update service of other versions.

> Also, if we follow Andrea's proposal, we don't link to the NL home
> page, but to the NL's download page directly.   (If I understand
> correctly).

Ok, I will update it.

Recently, I have removed the already reduced XML document, because the ASF
infrastructure wants to establish the redirect before 2012-06-05.
Thus, our first phase will start, when I (or somebody else) recreate it.

> For example, Spanish upgrade URL would be:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade

I will check for the Italian download page for our first phase next week.

Best regards, Oliver.