incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 09:24:05 GMT
Hi,

On 31.05.2012 19:56, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> Ok.
>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for a
>> part of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can
>> be handled. No objections from my side.
>>
>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>> infrastructure team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the
>> check of updates is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an
>> entry with their data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an
>> update is available. All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation
>> is up to date.
>>

>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>> established at a certain day.
>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>> for this page.
>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be
>> established on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until
>> Monday.)
>>

>> BTW, as we have for each language own entries in the XML document we can
>> provide translated landing pages if somebody is willing to translate the
>> "master" landing page.
>>

> Is the text in the dialog box in OOo 3.3 localized?  The text that
> says an update is available, please go to this page to download?  Or
> is that in English only?

It is localized.

> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
> download.  (En is the exception -- we'd send them to
> http://download.openoffice.org directly)

+1 for using the NL pages as the "update landing pages".

> To distinguish these visits from non-upgrade visits, we could tag them
> using URL parameters in a way that Google Analytics can understand.
>
> For example:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> or
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> or
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/it/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> The extra parameters would be ignored by our website, but GA would
> understand them.

No problem to include such parameters.

> One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?

Not yet planned nor tested, but I assume that the XML document only needs minor
adjustments.
OOo 3.2 has the UpdateURL http://update34.services.openoffice.org/...
OOo 3.2.1 has the Update URL http://update35.services.openoffice.org/...

But once the update service is working for OOo 3.3, we can easily do the same
for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 (and even former versions). We can redirect these URLs
to another XML document which contains different "update landing page URLs" in
order to distinguish e.g. OOo 3.2 update requests from OOo 3.3 update requests.

Before activating the update service for former versions I would like to think
about including languages/platform combinations for which we do _not_ have yet
an installation package available. It could be a possibility to aware these
users about the AOO 3.4 release. May be we can get feedback which languages
and/or platforms our users are requesting. May be we can activate certain
volunteers for these languages/platforms. May be certain users would be also
satisfied with another localization.

> Do we think there are many out there?

I do not know.

OOo 3.2 was released at 2010-02-11, OOo 3.2.1 at 2010-06-03.
OOo 3.3 was out at 2011-01-27. I assume that at this time the former update
services for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 were available. Thus, the users had at least
2,5 months (until mid April 2011) to upgrade. May be former update services were
longer available - I do not know.
I could conclude that our OOo 3.2/3.2.1 user base is small compared to the OOo
3.3 one from these assumption, but I am not sure.

Best regards, Oliver.