incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Twitter Word Cloud for OpenOffice
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 02:47:00 GMT
KG01 - see comments inline.

On Jun 27, 2012, at 5:51 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-06-26, at 15:47 , Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> I took all the tweets from June that mentioned 'OpenOffice' and then
>> removed the word 'OpenOffice' as well as the string 'RT/.  (If they
>> were left in they would dominate over the other terms).  I then
>> created a 'world cloud' using the Wordle applet:
>> http://www.wordle.net/
>>
>> Here's what I got:   http://people.apache.org/~robweir/twitter-cloud.png

KG01 - Very nice. I'll include in our Twitter social data harvest.

As for analysis. It's hard to extract a complete picture of sentiment without correlating
the various words in some context.

I viewed the word cloud in my iPhone, so I could only read some terms - good filter.

Observation: there is much chatter about alternatives and the incumbents.
Insight: this presents a paradox, as some feel AOO should establish it's own identity, while
others are focused on relativism - our ability to support users migrating from other tools,
provide feature parity and support the  ability for users to leverage their existing knowledge.
Moving forward our design direction will to continue to be mindful of both paths.

Observation: the predominance of brand over feature/fuction chatter
Insight: Brand matters. People are emotionally attached to their office suite.

Observation: Writer and paperback are prediminat tool-oriented references.
Insight: Document editor is most important to people in the twitter sphere.

Not overly deep, just some impressions.

What do others see?

Thanks for sharing.

>> This gives a sense of what words are most closely associated with
>> OpenOffice in recent Twitter conversations.
>>
>> What does it mean?  I dunno.  You tell me.
>>
>> -Rob
>

> Looking further into this and seeing how the cloud is generated, I would be interested
in seeing how it looks in, say, Chinese, or other non-US/Roman-script languages.