incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for Apache License for CWSs
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 16:37:27 GMT
On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 08:29:44AM -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > If Marina was in the internship program, then she was not an
> > Oracle employee, and the joint copyright assignment she
> > signed does not take her rights over the code. AINAL,
> > but I guess the situation is different
> > with code written by former Oracle employees working for
> > OOo.
> >

> If the internship was paid (which is usual in internships
> involved in doing anything copyrightable) the code is owned
> by the employer. If the internship was not paid then the
> company can argue she used company resources (tutors, etc)
> that were not available under other conditions. Interns are
> not different to regular employees in such cases.

You are missing the context:

- the Internship was
  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Internship
- it was payed by Team OpenOffice.org on behalf of the Community Council
  with community resources
- the contributor signed the SCA
  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Internship#Terms_.26_Conditions

This means the Intern owns the copyright on the code she/he wrote. The
issue in this case is that Daniel and Eike both contributed code being
Oracle employees.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile