incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 20:11:01 GMT
Am Samstag, 2. Juni 2012 um 00:41 schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> --- Ven 1/6/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> ha scritto:
> > >
> > > And computers need electricity, which is not free and
> > > not available under a compatible license. I wish you
> > > could keep focused or at least do an effort to
> > > understand the issues so we can solve them.
> > >

> > Be nice.
>
> Couldn't resist :-P. But I really think you can
> bring more intelligent arguments to the discussion
> if you focus more on solvig the issues and less on
> making your point.
>
> > > The tarball release must be consistent; we cannot hide
> > > tarballs in SVN. Creating a directory with the
> > >

> > Category-A
> > > tarballs that form a base of the release along with
> >
> > the
> > > base distribution is not really a problem. Some of
> >
> > them
> > > are not available upstream anymore.
> >

> > That is one possible technique.  But not the only
> > one.  I'm a committer on another Apache project,
> > the ODF Toolkit, and we do not include any of the
> > dependencies in our release, not even other
> > category-a ones.
> >

> Well I am a committer in the only big UNIX-like
> distribution that is carrying Apache OpenOffice
> nowadays. We would really like to use a source
> distribution through ASF mirrors but since the ASF
> doesn't provide one that works well we have been
> rolling our own. Having a working source
> distribution would help attract linux packagers,
> I think.

well if that is really the case you have failed on several levels

- you didn't really have used or tried the source tarball
- you didn't gave the appropriate and necessary feedback
- you didn't helped to fix your concerns relating the source release. At least it seems you
have some concerns

That makes me really thinking ...

Juergen