incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:47:02 GMT
Hello;

--- Lun 18/6/12, Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@apache.org> ha scritto:

> For option I, it is a easy path.
> Quitely like we will keep going with
> it. As we see recently, a lot of patches from Symphony were
> submitted.
> The problem with Option I is some features may never be
> migrated into
> AOO, like Async document loading, property sidebar and some
> improvements don't look like that important.
>
> If we go with option II, I would agree with Pedro that
> we will work on both options at the same time. keep two
> releases for a period of time until we are sure that
> AOO 3.4 user can smoothly move to a new release.

FWIW, I am afraid that whatever we choose to do we will
end up maintaining two branches. Option I will involve
taking a lot of time for 4.0 so we will end up making
intermediate releases. Option II will make very evident
the UI changes and while a lot of people will love it,
many people will still want the old look/feel.

<snip>

> The code has been ready now.
> Can people work on the contribution code base if they like?
> Can such kind of changes be documented in BZ?

I will be porting Symphony to FreeBSD. All of the work is
already documented in some way or another in BZ and I will
make sure it is properly referenced in SVN.

It will take some time thogh... I recently broke my system
with experimental compiler changes to the point that I
will have to reinstall it :(.

Pedro.