incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <>
Subject Re: Would like to help, but...
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:50:23 GMT
On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 13:51 +0900, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
> Feels like I should start by saying that I'm actually one of those weirdos
> who used to pay for shareware and such. I admit that I mostly used the
> freely available software freely and without paying for it, but there were
> also a number of times that I paid for the premium versions, and even a
> couple of times when I paid the ransom after the free trial period had
> expired. Unfortunately, I never felt that I got more by donating and in
> most cases the programs in question soon disappeared anyway. I mostly
> concluded that competent programmers aren't going to stay with that
> economic model. My best guess is that some of them were hoping to strike it
> rich, but they didn't, so they gave up. However, why would I want them to
> help them strike it rich, even if their program was great? I don't Las
> Vegas economic models, either.
> Meanwhile, I hate the anti-freedom anti-choice policies of Microsoft,
> Apple, Oracle, and increasingly the google, too. However, their economic
> models work.
> I would prefer to support you with some money, but I still doubt you'll
> survive. Actually, the Sun fiasco has had me using LibreOffice most of the
> time these days...
> What I would like is an option to pay by the feature on a small project
> basis. I would buy one or more shares in features that I wanted, where the
> project budget would include such things as testing and programmer time,
> etc. The new features would be selected as enough people agreed to pay for
> them. The structure I would suggest would actually leave you holding the
> money as a kind of charity stock brokerage. Some of the projects might
> involve support in various forms, of course.
> However I've been advocating this sort of thing for some years. The closest
> thing I've seen is Kickstarter, but they seem to be completely lacking in
> project management. My suggestion would be more like "reverse auction
> charity shares". Unless someone does something like that, I'm not likely to
> donate again... I'm convinced the economic model is as important as the
> software.

Hello Shannon,

Well, what you propose is interesting, but IMO right now what this
project needs is more in-kind help then monetary.

Often people believe that only coders can contribute, but this is not
true, for any open source project and particularly for end user focused
open source projects.

One area of concern to this project, IMO, is user and developer

You aren't by any chance a Technical Writer/Editor are you?

View raw message