incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:54:15 GMT
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 14:38 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> > Predictably, I prefer approach I on first principles:
> > Never derail the train that's running.
> >
> > From that perspective, there's all of this:
> >  - All of the developers and many testers and others know
> >   how to build AOO 3.4.0 including people who are working
> >   from the source tarball and the folks working on LibreOffice
> >   and other co-dependents as well
>
> The Symphony build platform is not very different from AOO.  But since
> it was supported only on Windows/Mac/Linux, additional work would be
> needed for the *BSD, Solaris and OS/2.  But this is also required for
> option I, since the code merged in from Symphony would also be
> untested on other ports.  So I think it is the same or similar work,
> differing mainly in the pace of change.
>
> >  - the current community includes those who build special
> >   distros (of OOo and LO), provide QA that serves all of us,
> >   etc.
>
> Not sure what you are referring to.  Are you referring to things like
> PortableApps?

Sure, and EuroOffice, NeoOffice, NeoShineOffice and I suppose a few
others - a few companies field vertical market style applications based
on the code line, medical records comes to mind but I can't recall the
actual company name .

At least that is what came to my mind when reading along.

//drew

<snip>