incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Correct SVN practices (was Re: Fix for bug 119161)
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:16:22 GMT

--- Lun 4/6/12, J├╝rgen Schmidt ha scritto:

> > I guess there's going to be no way to convince
> > people to use SVN correctly (hint: "svn merge"). :(
>
> I simply haven't thought about it but I agree svn merge
> would have been better here. Especially when we want to
> merge the whole branch later to trunk to ensure that
> we have all fixes integrated.

svn merge actually helps a lot and I find it is really
powerful, especially when there are big changes involving
creating or moving files. I think part of the problem
is that we don't have the procedures documented yet
and people are afraid to break something in the main
tree.

We do have a small primer but it can be improved.
For new (and sometimes old) committers it's good
to have some reference for doing their first commit,
the first merge, creating their own feature branch,
etc.

Volunteers are welcome; I am a little busy but I
can give some pointers if someone wants to take
the task.

Pedro.