incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Friendly Web www.OOoNinja.com
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:06:27 GMT

On 2012-05-31, at 10:09 , drew wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 09:20 -0400, drew wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 20:53 +0800, bjcheny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I go through some links from Office OpenXML, I find this:
>>> http://www.oooninja.com/
>>> It's aimed to bring news/tips/howtos for openoffice.org. And it was ever
>>> maintained by  Andrew Ziem <aziem@openoffice.org?subject=www.OOoNinja.com>
(
>>> aziem@openoffice.org).
>>> I guess it's close with our community, and is there any story? Maybe we can
>>> take it back, and post our news/articles there.
>>
>> It was not, maintained by, Andrew it is Andrew's personal blog, there is
>> nothing to take back. There is a story why it has gone silent, not
>> appropriate for, or related to, here.
>>
>> Andrew also worked with Fridrich on http://libwps.sourceforge.net/ BTW.
>
> Hi again,
>

> As a project (OO.o) there was some precedent for handing off private
> resources from one member to another - such happened twice that I can
> think of.

At least. Actually, "precedent' is a glorification of series of mistakes and oopses, but in
the end, the conclusion, which I think antedated the formation of the Community Council, I
and a few others came to was*:

|| private sites voluntarily donated and maintained unless publicly backed by policy and institution
representatives (i.e., the OOo community council, at the time; now, the PMC), are always more
vulnerable than those arranged for by contract, simply because the latter works to secure
the future and eliminate the uncertainty of the market, at least in theory, if not always
in practice, of course.

|| any donated site (whatever that means), must comply with the policy (or come up with a
better one that the governing body can adopt), and part of that policy really ought to have
provisions for hand-over.

*  [We—mostly Sun/Hamburg--never implemented these points in full b/c of corporate resistance
and never really scripted them; they existed more as conversations, and that's a pity. The
consequences of that failure of policy writing can be seen here and there. ]

My take is that little is lost by having policy guidelines and if those guidelines need amendment
or outright expunging, fine: do it. No policy ought to be thought of as cut into stone—that's
what makes it a policy and not a law or even commandment.

Of course, any policy pertaining to something like the Ninja site or any other promotional
site personally maintained ought to be, logically, consistent with any mirrors site or any
other public site representing OOo, yes?

> I have a recent email address for Andrew and will contact him - will let
> the list know what if anything comes of that.

Thanks
Louis