incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:27:56 GMT
+1 @Andre

I think unpacking the setup files into a desktop folder is ridiculous.  It is also never explained
that it is safe to deleted that folder after the install succeeds.  If this procedure is continued,
it should default to a sub-folder in the active user's default TEMP folder.

For my installs, I unpack onto a folder of a shared server and let the installation happen
from there.  It also lets me reinstall from the expanded folder onto other machines and into
VMs whenever I need to do a reinstall.  (For a VM, sometimes I need to copy the unpacked folder
into the VM temporarily to have the file locations work properly.)

Note that the unpacked setup is what one would distribute on a CD-ROM, avoiding the ridiculous
unpacking in that case.

LO has resolved this by shipping single .msi Files for Windows now, rather than the older
distributions that unpacked into a setup folder and then executed from the folder.  LO has
also removed the dependency on the setup folder for uninstall.  I believe that is already
fixed in OO.o 3.3.0 and AOO 3.4.0.  Now the only uninstall problem is killing the quick start.

If maintenance mode is needed, it should be done in a way that does not require access to
the unpacked setup folder nor the original download.  Other products also provide options
for whether the extra material that is needed is retained or not.  (So far, the major maintenance
mode that AOO needs is a way for end users to easily backup and clean up their user profile,
something maintenance won't touch.)

 - Dennis