incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Readonly on Password-protected Documents (was: NewWikiMainPage)
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 19:01:22 GMT
On the Save As ... dialog and Save with Password option, the Set Password dialog has a "More
Options" button which is not expanded by default.  Under the More options is a setting for
specifying that the document should be opened read-only with a password (separate from the
encryption password) that is used to allow editing.

It could be that the option has been set at some point and is being propagated invisibly because
of the way the Set Password dialog works.

Also, note that the File | Properties dialog has a Security tab and that has a check-box for
Open File read-only and for Record changes (which I believe is to prevent recording of changes
being turned off).

I observed, in LibreOffice not OpenOffice, some "sticking" of the read-only option even when
it had been cleared.  This was in some testing I had been doing around use of protections
(the read-only case) as well as encryption. In my case, it sometimes took several tries at
clearing the read-only flag with Save As ... to new file copies before the document became
editable.  There were also problems with the a Save As ... of an opened encrypted document
being silently encrypted with the same password.  I may have filed a LibreOffice bug but I
don't have a record of that.

It may well be that whatever the defect is, it was in the OpenOffice.org ooo-dev 3.4 and the
contributed code base but not in the OpenOffice.org 3.3.0.  I never checked that far back.

 - Dennis

PS: The inclusion of a protection feature in this obscure place as part of a document privacy
feature is also objectionable, but that's a different matter.  The labeling of File sharing
options as a "Security" rather than a Protection provision on the File | Properties dialog
is also objectionable.  (Same different matter.)