incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "John" <supp...@123openoffice.com>
Subject Re: Bring back the distributors page!
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 21:33:57 GMT
1)   How important is to your business to have the "Community Distributor"
logo on your website, or to otherwise have access to OpenOffice logos and
branding?

I think it would benefit both the seller and the buyer knowing that they are
buying from a known distributor. So I would say that this is a good idea to
use the official logos and branding.

2)  How important is to your business to be listed on a distribution page of
our website, www.openoffice.org?  Is this due to traffic that is generated?
Or by the implied endorsement that comes from being listed?  Or both?

It is of the up most importance to be listed on your distributors page due
to the traffic generated by that specific page. Also, If you take a look at
my website,  <http://www.123openoffice.com> www.123openoffice.com, you can
clearly see that I have the logo on the top left of the page as a community
distributor. Also note below that, if the latest version is not up to date
on my site when it is released, I will distribute the CD free of charge.
Which is a great incentive for some people that may see that I do not have
the latest version up. I think if something like that was implemented in the
guidelines of being a distributor it would work to everyone's benefit.

3)  If we made a "distributor" logo available for use by OpenOffice
distributors, but under specific conditions, what should those conditions
be?

I think the conditions should be as follows: The distributor logo must
appear on the top fold of your page. Which means you should be able to see
it without scrolling down. The logo should not be altered in any way as this
may confuse people and trick people into thinking that it is a different
office product.

4) Another way to think of it is this: The value of that logo is diminished
it is given to those who offer poor service.  So what would distinguish a
good distributor from a bad one?

For me as stated above, I issue free copies of the software if someone
requests one if I do not have the latest version available. Also if you
briefly read through my FAQ's, it explains how and why I am able to sell
something that is free. I think everyone that is a distributor should have
something similar to my FAQ's.

If you need help with any web design I would be willing to assist. As I have
created many website before and I can keep the list of distributors up to
date. I know when Alex was in charge, I would send him the links that were
out of date and websites that did not have the latest version available. But
I'm not sure why he did not keep it updated. (No offense to Alex!)

Let me know everyone's thoughts about the above and if I could be of
service. I also do graphic design work as well, jsgraphix.com.

Thanks,

John Schmidt