incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: how to install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 in headless server
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 08:37:07 GMT
On 25.05.2012 04:52, bjcheny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess it may still require graphics stuff like "X11"?
> I just search through openoffice's website with "headless" and seem to get
> some info helpful.
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Log_Mac_Meeting_November_21st_2007
>
> [2007-11-21 14:56:06]<PhilippL>  ericb2: on the non X11 platforms no
> window will be opened, but the graphics system of the platform is of
> course still used.
> [2007-11-21 14:56:26]<PhilippL>  ericb2: on X11 the headless plugin
> removes the need for that, too.
>
> I think it's unnecessary to require graphics things once you only ask for
> headless mode from openoffice.

You still have cases where you need to prepare graphics, e.g. when using
an exporter (main use of headless is file conversion) where the target
format does not know the needed data types. In those cases the data has
to be rendered to a bitmap and the bitmap gets exported. We have quite
some such cases, also the direct export as bitmap, of course. Font
rendering is also an aspect. I'm not the expert here, but it will not be
too easy.

> Regards,
> Chen Ying

[..]