incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 17:35:14 GMT

On May 25, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On May 25, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/developer-faqs.html#how_do_i_edit_the_websites
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to have a standardized reminder of things to do? I'm
>> thinking using Doodle or Taskforce (I think that requires money) or free
>> reminder services (even OpenProjity). The idea would be, say, to draft a
>> checklist of things to do and then be nagged by mindless electrons, all in
>> a good cause.
>>>
>>> -louis
>>>
>> Agreed. A get up and running package would be helpful. This package could
>> include task assignments.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> I don't know anything about TaskForce or Doodle, but, I'm wondering if
> having yet another app to deal with or place to go is really needed.
> Please, there is the added "maintenance" issue.
>
> Currently, even though the Project Planning area of the project wiki,
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning
>
> lacks a bit of style I guess, I find it adequate and relatively easy to use
> for task assignments. In my opinion, we made good use of it in the 3.4
> roll-out, the release notes, and now, with enhancement to the download
> script.
>
> Some of my issues about what we have right now -- buildbot, and the pootle
> server come to mind -- involve even knowing about them and knowing how to
> use them.
>
> Given the number of folks already involved in this project, I think
> minimizing "stuff" we need to learn and where we need to go to get things
> done is important.
>
> So, I'm unconvinced that an additional mechanism would be an improvement to
> productivity.

I agree. Let's make sure that when we add tools, we add tools that are really needed.

We also need to remember that this is a volunteer project and communication about who is actively
doing what needs to be co-ordinated and re-co-ordinated here on the ML.

What matters is what people actually do and not what they say what they will do.

As far as Infrastructure is concerned there are three kinds to consider (not a complete list)

(1) Systems like SVN, Confluence, JIRA, Bugzilla, CMS, Buildbots, and Pootle that the Apache
Infrastructure supports.

(2) Systems like the MediaWiki and User Forums that the project must support with Infrastructure's
help.

(3) Systems like the drupal based Extensions and Templates. Or large impact mirrors for Downloads
where external parties like SourceForge are providing the service. There are still a few legacies
that Oracle supports like the old Mercurial repos.

It's a blend and the AOO PPMC needs to have some view into these assets. Some require sysadmin
support from the PPMC others don't.

For new services we need more than just the idea, we need the skill to administer the service.
This expertise extends to security fixes. For example, if there are MediaWiki security issues
then we need a volunteer to provide the upgrade.

Another example, the Apache blogs are currently unavailable for update because there is a
security issue. Infrastructure is currently waiting for the Apache Roller project to make
a supported fix - either a patch or a release.

Regards,
Dave