incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distribute AOO through Mac App Store
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:30:32 GMT
Hi,

On 2012-05-14, at 15:17 , Jan Høydahl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started a discussion on Twitter today:
>> cominvent: Any reason why Apache OpenOffice cannot be put up on the Mac App Store?
#openoffice #OSX #appstore #apache
>> 4:48pm, May 14 from HootSuite
>> rcweir: @cominvent Interesting question. It is not something we've discussed. Are
there any specific technical requirements?
all copyright and ASL is honored? http://t.co/z6rYr9ah
>> 8:46pm, May 14 from HootSuite
>
> Any of you got experience with publishing apps on Mac App Store? It would be worth an
attempt to get AOO out there, as it would make it much easier for Mac users to get started.
As far as I know, GPL apps are prohibited from distribution through Mac App Store (see http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement),
but now that OOo is Apache Licensed this should be no problem, right? If not the LGPL deps
cause the same issue... Also, this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_App_Store says that
apps requiring Java will not be accepted. But AOO does not *require* Java to run, so that
should also be ok, not?

This is a good point-- I mean about the license and Java. So good points, in the plural. I
have not tried putting AOO to the Mac App Store, though I did have success prior to its incarnation,
when there was also a lot of nice free software there.

I should think that if it's possible, then do it? :-) When I did it before, I clarified to
the company owning the license at at the time, Sun, that the actual software binaries were
not being posted to Apple but only a link to the download page.

I presume that obtains now, too?

The other thing to consider is the language, in English for the sake of this post, describing
AOO and its capabilities. I suppose one can simply reuse what we have on the download page.

Cheers
Louis

PS one could perhaps state that though Java is not required one can obtain it at URL.com.
As well, I'd be rather interested to see if we can promote extensions via the Mac App store.
(as well as podcasts via iTunes, and other fun marketing vehicles that also instruct.)